Mona Karlsson – Patient Coordinator
Hi there, my name is Mona and I am very proud to say that I am a Patient Coordinator at Overvekts Operasjoner Riga. I’ve also had a Gastric Bypass with our outstanding Surgeon and am absolutely delighted with the whole experience. I lost my weight and slimmed down to my target weight within the first year! I would like to guide and help you with your special journey based upon my own experience of weight loss surgery.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Dr. Igors Troickis – Leading Bariatric Surgeon, 25 years experience, over 500 procedures annually
A highly acknowledged surgeon, with 25 years experience in general surgery and over 10 years experience in bariatric surgeries.
Head of Surgery Department at Riga hospital.
The surgeon performs over 500 procedures annually.
· Gastric Bypass, Mini Gastric Bypass
· Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Band removal
· Revisional Bariatric Surgery
|Gastric Balloon||BMI 27+|
|Gastric Sleeve||BMI 30+|
|Gastric Bypass||BMI 35+|
Choose the procedure that suits you best :
10 Reasons to choose us
Efficient appointment system
We will endeavour to accommodate your needs when arranging appointments. Our surgeon will review your medical documentation and health questionnaire to assess your suitability for a surgical procedure, we then aim to offer you an acceptance for surgery date within one to two weeks.
A private contemporary surgical centre
Our clinic is designed to emulate the most modern medical institutions in Europe. Hotel style accommodation is offered, with a flat screen television, wifi and air conditioning to ensure a comfortable stay. There is the opportunity for a friend or a member of your family to stay with you in your private room, if necessary.
Extremely experienced surgeons and medical team
Our senior surgeon, who specializes in bariatric surgery, has over ten years experience in this field, and twenty five years experience in general surgery. The medical staff and surgeons have vast experience and knowledge.
Finest quality surgical equipment
The equipment we use is of the highest proven quality, it is supplied by: Storz, Johnson & Johnson, Ethicon and Covidien. We have opened four new operating theatres, which have been designed and equipped to the highest standard.
5 year follow up
We offer a five year follow up programme for patients who have undergone Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass surgery and a one year follow up programme for patients with a Gastric Balloon. Our patient coordinator will be available to answer questions via email or telephone.
Half the price of Norway surgical treatment
With us you get the same (or an even better) service than that of a private clinic in Norway, for half the price. For approximately half the cost, we can offer a similar or a better service than most private clinics in Norway.
English speaking medical personnel
Our doctors, nurses and the other medical personnel speak English fluently.
Twenty four hour care
Medical care, given by doctors and nurses, is available on a twenty four hour basis.
Direct flights from Norway to Riga
There are direct flights from the Norway to Riga (RIX)., Norwegian Air fly from Oslo, Trondheim and Bergen. Wizz Air fly from Sandefjord. Flight connections are also available from the rest of Norway through hub in Oslo.
Surgeon’s liability insurance
A Surgeon’s liability insurance of 30 000 Euro is provided for the bariatric surgeons operating at our clinic.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens when I arrive in Riga?
– It is ideal if patients arrive in Riga on a Monday and stay for the first night in a hotel. This will allow you to have time to relax following your journey and allow us to clarify or explain any organizational issues. One of our representatives will collect you from the hotel the next day to take you to the hospital, you will then undergo pre-operative tests and have a consultation with your surgeon. Usually the procedure will take place the following morning, and you will be allowed home after three days if no problems or complications have arisen.
If the pre-operative tests diagnose a medical condition which makes me unsuitable for bariatric surgery, what happens?
– In this instance you will pay for the standard tests that have been performed, approximately 6 400,- NOK. Any other monies connected to the surgery will be refunded. 10% deposit for Surgery is non refundable, any tests that are performed on the day of pre op testing (additional tests if necessary) that are outside the standard that we perform for Bariatric surgery will be paid for as per test. Stay at Clinic and Hotel and transfers will be covered by the Patient.
Is Latvia a safe place to undergo surgery?
– We can reassure and testify that bariatric surgery in Latvia is as safe as in any other Western European country, this includes places such as Norway, Sweden and England. Diagnostic equipment, surgical techniques and the medicines we use are the same. Surgical intervention in Latvia is cheaper than other European countries because they are highly taxed, this is the major difference.
Bariatric surgery, does it actually work?
– Our most commonly asked question! Research and practice show that bariatric surgery is an effective and efficient procedure for those severely obese people who need to lose weight. If the instructions and advice given by the surgeon are followed meticulously excellent results will be achieved and maintained.
What can I hope to achieve?
– The amount of weight you may lose depends on your starting weight prior to surgery. A very important factor is diet and exercise following surgery, this can have a major impact on your overall weight loss. On average however, within a year, you can expect to lose approximately 60-70% in excess weight.
What is the recovery time following surgery?
– Some of our patients feel well enough to return to work after just one week, however in general the post operative recovery time takes approximately 6 weeks. You may feel tired and lethargic for several months, this is not uncommon, but it is important that light exercise is undertaken as soon as possible once you return home.
Is it necessary for me to take additional minerals and vitamins?
– To ensure that your body functions as it should, the answer is yes. We recommend that you take additional mineral and vitamin supplements for the rest of your life. Following surgery, due to its’ reduced capacity, the stomach absorbs fewer essential nutrients, minerals and vitamins, these need to be supplemented.
Can I become pregnant following surgery?
– It is advisable not to consider pregnancy for at least 18 months following surgery, however women who have undergone bariatric surgery do not lose the ability to carry a child. We understand that this is a very important issue for some women.
Will my excess weight return?
– In theory, yes, there is the possibility that you may gain weight again. You can still overeat to such a degree that the stomach will stretch to accommodate the extra food. However is it tremendously important to maintain a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise, a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, whilst avoiding refined sugars, animal fat and processed foods. Try to eat small portions and chew food slowly. Those people who follow these rules will never be overweight again.
Is there any follow-up care once I return home?
– Our aim at Weight Loss Riga is to ensure that every aspect of you treatment, before, during and after your surgery is handled with the upmost care and attention. Once you return home this service will continue and we will endeavour to meet your needs at all times.
Are there any tests I need to have before I travel abroad?
– If you have pre-existing health problems that may be deemed serious, for example, heart related diseases or a serious illness, we request that tests are performed by your GP or Consultant prior to your travel. Otherwise all necessary tests will be undertaken at our hospital the day before your surgery.
Is there a special diet I should follow leading up to surgery?
– Prior to bariatric surgery, there is no specific diet that needs to be followed. However, two weeks before your surgery we advise and recommend that you to commence a low fat diet. This has medical benefits and the adaptation will prepare you for your lifestyle following surgery.
Will bariatric surgery be the best thing for me?
– Your Body Mass Index and your GP’s diagnosis and conclusions should be taken into consideration and it is important to listen your GP’s recommendations. If diet changes and regular exercise have been unsuccessful in combating obesity, bariatric surgery may be the next step. Your GP will need to determine your Body Mass Index and take into account all the measure you have taken to lose weight. Morbid obesity and a BMI of 30-40 (or more) are criteria for recommending surgery. Bariatric surgery is medical intervention which cannot and should not be taken lightly.
Will the results from bariatric surgery be long term?
– On average most patients will maintain a 50% weight loss for up to 10 years. This is an excellent result. However, patients who maintain the hospitals specifically designed health and nutrition plan can see the results for a lifetime. Weight loss is hard work, but a positive attitude and a willingness to maintain a healthy lifestyle means that your obesity will be a thing of the past!