Mona Karlsson – Patient Coordinator
Hi there, my name is Mona and I am very proud to say that I am a Patient Coordinator at Overvekts Operasjoner Riga. I’ve also had a Gastric Bypass with our outstanding Surgeon and am absolutely delighted with the whole experience. I lost my weight and slimmed down to my target weight within the first year! I would like to guide and help you with your special journey based upon my own experience of weight loss surgery.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Dr. Igors Troickis – Leading Bariatric Surgeon, 25 years experience, over 500 procedures annually
A highly acknowledged surgeon, with 25 years experience in general surgery and over 12 years experience in bariatric surgeries.
Head of Surgery Department at Riga hospital.
The surgeon performs over 500 procedures annually.
· Gastric Bypass, Mini Gastric Bypass
· Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Band removal
· Revisional Bariatric Surgery
|Gastric Balloon||BMI 27+|
|Gastric Sleeve||BMI 30+|
|Gastric Bypass||BMI 35+|
Choose the procedure that suits you best
10 Reasons to choose us
Efficient appointment system
We will endeavour to accommodate your needs when arranging appointments. Our surgeon will review your medical documentation and health questionnaire to assess your suitability for a surgical procedure, we then aim to offer you an acceptance for surgery date within one to two weeks.
A private contemporary surgical centre
Our clinic is designed to emulate the most modern medical institutions in Europe. Hotel style accommodation is offered, with a flat screen television, wifi and air conditioning to ensure a comfortable stay. There is the opportunity for a friend or a member of your family to stay with you in your private room, if necessary.
Extremely experienced surgeons and medical team
Our senior surgeon, who specializes in bariatric surgery, has over ten years experience in this field, and twenty five years experience in general surgery. The medical staff and surgeons have vast experience and knowledge.
Finest quality surgical equipment
The equipment we use is of the highest proven quality, it is supplied by: Storz, Johnson & Johnson, Ethicon and Covidien. We have opened four new operating theatres, which have been designed and equipped to the highest standard.
5 year follow up
We offer a five year follow up programme for patients who have undergone Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass surgery and a one year follow up programme for patients with a Gastric Balloon. Our patient coordinator will be available to answer questions via email or telephone.
Half the price of Norway surgical treatment
With us you get the same (or an even better) service than that of a private clinic in Norway, for half the price. For approximately half the cost, we can offer a similar or a better service than most private clinics in Norway.
English speaking medical personnel
Our doctors, nurses and the other medical personnel speak English fluently.
Twenty four hour care
Medical care, given by doctors and nurses, is available on a twenty four hour basis.
Direct flights from Norway to Riga
There are direct flights from the Norway to Riga (RIX)., Norwegian Air fly from Oslo, Trondheim and Bergen. Wizz Air fly from Sandefjord. Flight connections are also available from the rest of Norway through hub in Oslo.
Surgeon’s liability insurance
A Surgeon’s liability insurance of 30 000 Euro is provided for the bariatric surgeons operating at our clinic.
Enter your body profile details to calculate the result.
Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery Pros and Cons
Roux-en Y surgery (RNY) – or simple “gastric bypass surgery” as it’s commonly known – has been a hit with those seeking a permanent solution to their weight problems since it was first introduced more than 40 years ago.
But RNY surgery also has a few drawbacks that have got the attention of the bariatric community. In an effort to address these issues a refinement of RNY surgery was introduced that has become known as “mini gastric bypass surgery” and in this article we’ll be looking at mini gastric bypass surgery pros and cons.
A Quick Look at Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery Pros and Cons
Mini gastric bypass surgery has had a long road to acceptance primarily because it has had to contend with the already established and popular RNY surgery. If you are undecided about which procedure might be right for you take a look at these mini gastric bypass surgery pros and cons.
- It’s less invasive – With mini gastric bypass there are typically fewer incisions because there is less internal manipulation required. Fewer incisions means less chance of infection.
- It’s faster than RNY – A typical RNY procedure can take up to 2 hours whereas a mini gastric bypass is usually completed with an hour.
- There is less rerouting of the small intestine – In RNY surgery the small intestine is completely severed before being reattached to the new stomach pouch. With mini gastric surgery the new pouch is simply joined to the side of the intestine.
- Shorter recovery times – Because there are fewer incisions and less manipulation of the small intestine recovery time is typically shorter than that for standard RNY surgery.
- Fewer long term complications – While the complication rate for RNY surgery is low and the success rate excellent mini bypass surgery yields even fewer long term complications.
- Chance of dumping syndrome – This phenomenon occurs when foods moves too quickly through the stomach into the intestines. Diarrhoea, dizziness and nausea typically occur.
- Chance or reflux gastritis – This condition occurs when bile backs up into the stomach and oesophagus.
- Potential for infection – While the risk of infection is usually lower than with RNY surgery it does exist and patients need to be aware of that.
- Other complications – Hernias at the surgical site cannot be ruled out, nor can potential leakage from poorly seated staples although both are extremely rare.
As the above mini gastric bypass surgery pros and cons demonstrate this type of bariatric procedure has proven itself a capable alternative to standard RNY surgery. The Internet is also brimming with mini gastric bypass surgery reviews that back up the notion of its effectiveness. If you would like to know more about this safe and affordable alternative to RNY surgery contact Weight Loss Riga by filling out the enquiry form on our website or calling our UK patient coordinator.